Monday, May 11, 2009

Who Needs Religion? Not The Youth.

According to a recent study conducted by Harvard University professor Robert Putnam, the percentage of young Americans who do not affiliate with an organized religion has grown exponentially.  Historically, it has been between 5 and 10 percent; his study pegs the number at 30 to 40 percent.  However, those polled did not necessarily state that they were atheist; they just did not affiliate with Christianity, Catholicism, Judaism, Islam, or any of their respective branches.  (The Huffington Post, May 9 2009)

Frankly, I'm not surprised at all.  Who needs religion now, when all we see of it is hypocrisy and mixed messages?  Each religion preaches tolerance in its respective holy books, but yet the Middle East is a breeding ground of hatred and warfare.  At home, Obama had to fight rumors that he was a "secret Muslim", as if being a Muslim was a disqualification for the Presidency.  A politician, who was Muslim, had to fight to be able to swear into office on the Koran instead of the bible.  Religion preaches that we must help our neighbors and those worse off than us, but yet the wealthiest countries barely pay more than a lip service of aid to struggling nations.  Don't get me started on the priest sex abuse scandals - who wants to be part of a religion that has that history in its culture?  We are a nation that prides itself on religious tolerance, but yet we must swear in on a bible, and swear allegiance to the flag of a nation "under God".

In addition to the recent study, there was also an article in The Huffington Post about some churches that have used false advertising to get children baptised.  Apparently, these churches have a history of luring children into baptisms through false claims that baptisms can save the children from bee stings or through "carnivals" that require a baptism for attendance.  This is just one more nail in the coffin of my examples as to why religion has begun losing out on the youth of America.  Luring children into baptisms with "carnivals" and "bee sting immunity" is just sick and desperate.

I could go on and on about all that has shown itself to be false in religion.  Personally, I have never identified with an organized religion.  I identify myself as "culturally Jewish" - I don't practice the religion of Judaism, but my ancestors are Jewish, and so I respect that part of my heritage.  I also identify myself as atheist, because I find that science is more trustworthy than religion in that Evolution and the Big Bang can almost be proven beyond a doubt, and it just makes more sense to me.  (Hey, whatever you believe is fine with me, I'm just writing my opinion - take it or leave it, fine.)  My problem with religion is that someone is given too much power, to tell you how best to morally live your life.  I'd rather figure that out myself, thank you very much.

So if the youth of America don't like organized religion, what do we like?  Tara Stiles of The Huffington Post posits that there may be an upswing of interest in a more spiritual path, through yoga and meditiation.  That seems to make a lot of sense, especially since for someone disillusioned by the large establishment of religion, spirituality through yoga and meditation can be achieved by yourself or in a small group.

Personally, and here again you can completely disagree with me, I am glad to see this change.  In my opinion, the major organized religions are way too powerful and hold way too much sway over peoples' lives.  This is a great change, a great way for people to take back control over their lives.

No comments: